Huawei today launched its mid-range Android tablet – the Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite in India. The device was originally launched in October 2018, but after almost a year, Huawei has decided to bring it to the Indian market. The Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite is the third tablet from Huawei for the Indian market, the other being the lower end MediaPad T5 and the higher end MediaPad M5. Huawei is one of the few Android vendors that still produce Android tablets while most other players have left the market. Today, the tablet market almost exclusively consists of the iPad.
The MediaPad M5 Lite also has something that not many android tablets – stylus support. Huawei is hoping that this will let it differentiate itself in a small, low volume Android tablet market that doesn’t have a lot of brand recognition. Most people think of iPads when they think of tablets.
Table of Contents
Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite Specifications
- The MediaPad M5 Lite has a 10.1 inch, 1920 x 1200, 16:10 aspect ratio IPS LCD display. The front of the tablet is glass with aluminium back.
- The tablet runs on Huawei’s in-house HiSilicon Kirin 659, 16nm octa-core SOC. It has a Mali-T830 MP2 GPU.
- The MediaPad M5 Lite comes in 2 variants – a 3GB RAM/32GB storage, or 4GB RAM/64GB storage variant.
- It has 8MP cameras at the front and back with 1080p30fps video recording.
- For connectivity and I/O, the Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite has a 3.5mm headphone jack, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, and a USB-C 2.0 connector for charging.
- The MediaPad M5 Lite has a front-mounted fingerprint scanner.
- Additionally, the tablet will come with M-Pen Lite stylus out of the box with 2048 levels of touch sensitivity
- It has a Non-removable, 7500mAh battery, with 18W fast-charging support.
- The Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite comes in 2 colors – Space Gray and Champagne Gold.
Overall, these are pretty decent specs for a mid-range Android tablet. The 16:10 display is a welcome addition, although a higher resolution would obviously help. The Kirin 659 SOC will most probably be good enough for daily tasks, although it won’t give you the best framerates in high-quality games. The back camera could probably have been removed to reduce the costs. Face unlock similar to the iPads would have really made this tablet unique, considering no other tablet at its price point has it, and fingerprint unlock in a tablet can be inconvenient.
Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite Price
The MediaPad M5 Lite will cost Rs. 21,990 for the 3GB/32GB model. This will put in competition with the lower-end iPads, which start at Rs. 27000. The included stylus makes it a pretty good deal compared to the iPads, although they have a better display and most importantly, the app ecosystem on iPadOS is far better than that on Android.
Read Next: Moto E6S Review, Features, and Prices