While playing on PlayStation, we often make digital purchases to enhance the gaming experience but if you have purchased the wrong item, you may be wondering how to get a refund from PSN. There are several cases where gamers have purchased a new skin for Call of Duty or bought a subscription for Minecraft. Or maybe you placed a preorder for an upcoming game but now that you have changed your mind, you no longer wish to own that game so the next thing you want to do is have a refund processed from the PlayStation Store. Under the circumstances mentioned above, it is natural for you to seek a refund.
Irrespective of the reason behind wanting a refund from PSN, you can get it by following some simple steps. Before doing anything though, you need to make sure whether you are eligible or not for the refund. Let’s find out the eligibility criteria and how you can get a refund from PSN.
Table of Contents
Who Can Get a Refund From PSN?
First, let us tell you that you won’t get a refund if you have a guest account. Only those who have a registered account on PlayStation Network are eligible for refunds. The details pertaining to the payment source you used for making the purchase should match that of your PSN account. If the information doesn’t fit, the refund request will be canceled immediately. Moreover, only for three types of purchases will you get a refund.
These three categories are add-ons, preorders, and subscription packages. Within 14 days after purchasing, you can request a refund from PSN. But there are a few clauses that can prevent you from getting a refund.
- You will get a refund from PSN for everything from in-game purchases to complete game purchases and even season passes. The only condition is that you should not have started using the facility.
- In some cases, especially for subscriptions, if you have started using the facilities, you may get a refund, but some amount will be deducted for the period that you used the subscription and this is one of the cases where you won’t be eligible for a full refund. The refund amount will entirely depend on how much time you have left on your cycle at the time of canceling the subscription.
- If you preorder a game way in advance before its release date, you can seek a refund until the release date of the game. The policy is slightly different if you preorder the game within 14 days of its release date. In this case, the policy will be similar to that of other normal purchases you make from the PlayStation Store. You can submit the refund request up to 14 days from the date of purchase.
- Almost in every case, PlayStation sends the refund amount directly to the payment source used for making the payment. If you have made the payment via GiroPay, Yandex, or some other similar payment getaways, the PSN refund amount will be credited directly into your PS Store wallet.
How to Request and Get a Refund From PSN PlayStation Store?
Now, if you are eligible for a refund, you can request a refund from PSN by following the steps below.
- Log in to your registered PlayStation account.
- Go to the Chat Box and wait for the AI to initiate a conversation with you. The Bot will enquire you with a series of questions. Please answer all of them correctly to make progress in the refund process.
- After the questioning, click on the “I’m Ready” option to start the refund process.
- Click on “Yes, I am” when the AI asks whether you are the account holder or not.
- Then, select the payment method you used to make the purchase.
- Give the reason for which you are requesting the refund from PSN. This question is there for the betterment of the application by understanding the problems. The answer will not affect your refund process.
- Now, you will be asked whether you have used or downloaded the purchase. You can only request a refund when you haven’t used the purchase. Click ‘No’ when this question comes up.
- The AI will ask you whether this is your first refund request or if you have made previous requests for a refund. If your answer is affirmatory, then you have to give the reason for that.
- Finally, you have to mention the date of purchase.
Recommended for you! Cheer in Twitch: Here’s How You Can Donate Bits on Twitch
The Bottom Line
Before you begin the process, ensure that your PSN refund request qualifies under Sony’s Cancellation policy. After completing the process, you will get a support ID, and PlayStation Store will transfer the request to a live agent. The live agent will complete the rest of the process.