Apple released its entry-level iPad (2019) along with the iPhone launches a few weeks ago. Today, Apple quietly updated its Indian site to reveal that the iPad 2019 will go on sale on October 4. The iPad(2019) will replace the previous entry-level iPad (2018), although Apple hasn’t made many changes to the basic design, likely because of the last-gen iPad still being a pretty good tablet.
The tablet market is not a fast-growing market, largely because its mostly used in niche applications like education, and for most other things smartphones can do the job just as well. Most Android OEMs have largely abandoned the tablet market for this reason. Apple is one of the only remaining companies with a fairly good performing tablet division, and the basic iPad will probably be good enough for this market.
Table of Contents
iPad 2019 Features and Specifications
- The iPad(2019) has a 10.2 inch, 2160 x 1620 Retina IPS display. This is a small increase over last year’s iPad, which had a 9.7-inch display.
- Unlike the iPad Air, the iPad(2019) still has fairly large bezels that make it look fairly outdated in 2019. The front is covered in glass, with an aluminium body.
- As with all iPads, it comes in both Wifi Only and Wifi + 4G versions.
- Perhaps the biggest upgrade over the last iPad, the iPad 2019 now has support for the first-generation Apple Pencil. This will make it a pretty good tool for those looking to use graphical apps without wanting to spend the money to buy an iPad Pro(although adding support for the second-gen Pencil would have been even better).
- The iPad will launch with iOS 13.1. Apple will probably support the device with software updates for the next 4-5 years.
- It has a quad-core, Apple A10 Fusion SOC. This is a 3-year-old SOC at this point, but still will probably be sufficient for this display resolution.
- It has 2 GB RAM, with either 32 or 128 GB of storage.
- The iPad will have an 8MP back camera and a 1.2MP front camera with 720p30fps video for FaceTime.
- Like most older iOS devices, it has a front-mounted fingerprint scanner, with no FaceID.
- Like most iPads, Apple promises 10 hours of battery life with the iPad 2019.
Price and Availability
The iPad (2019) will go on sale starting October 4, at authorised Apple retailers, with pre-orders likely starting in a few days. The Wifi Only version will start at Rs. 29,900, while the Wifi + 4G version will start at Rs.40,900. Overall, these are fairly high prices, but not unexpected for the iPad. The iPad is the best performing product in the tablet market, which means consumers are willing to pay these prices for the features and support Apple gives them.